Friday, March 10, 2017

Pineapple Almond Cookies



I know that spring is coming soon, but the weather in the Seattle area is certainly unaware of this. We’ve had rain, snow, hail and even thunder snow in the past two weeks or so. This week, especially the end of it, has just been a soaker. While I love cooler weather, even I am ready for a little bit of spring. I have three daffodils outside blooming that tells me it’s time. Until the weather decides to cooperate, I will have to get my spring in the form of spring baking.

Anything with fruit or citrus makes me think of sunnier days. These cookies are Hawaiian, which also makes me think of the sun. I had pinned this recipe some time ago, but I knew that the day would be right eventually. This recipe doesn’t call for dairy, which is good as one of my friends at work can’t have dairy. She doesn’t like coconut, so I decided to make pineapple almond cookies rather than pineapple coconut cookies. I think the slivered almonds add a needed texture to these cookies.

For a cookie without butter, it sure seems like they taste buttery. The pineapple and almond come together to create such a great flavor. I do like the crunch of the almonds, and think that these cookies would be bland without that crunch. Since they don’t contain butter, they don’t brown (except on the very edge) so it is difficult to tell when they are baked through. I baked one batch at 350, but I don’t think those turned out as well, so I would recommend just being patient and baking at 325 degrees. These cookies may look a little plain, but they taste great!
   
Pineapple Almond Cookies
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup shortening
1 1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 egg
3/4 cup crushed pineapple, well drained
1/2 cup slivered almonds

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a large mixer bowl, beat the shortening, sugar, vanilla and almond extract on medium until combined. Add the egg and beat on medium until light. Stir in the pineapple, flour mixture, and almonds, stirring on low until the dough comes together.

Drop the dough onto the prepared baking sheets, using about a tablespoon of dough for each cookie.

Bake for 17-20 minutes, until the edges of the cookies are slightly browned. The cookies themselves don’t change color very much. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.

Recipe from Heather Tallman

No comments: