Friday, October 20, 2017

Glazed Pumpkin Sugar Cookies



This week, I had a couple of different cookies to choose from. I made sure that I had all of the ingredients and then I wait until inspiration strikes when the time comes to bake. I had some pumpkin remaining from last week’s recipe, so a couple of the options called for pumpkin. As someone who isn’t that much of a pumpkin fan, I really liked last week’s cookies. I figured I would give these sugar cookies a try. Another bonus: they don’t need any refrigeration so they are quick to put together.

I’m not sure if there is a specific definition for a sugar cookie; these are certainly different than the classic sugar cookie that I usually make. It is interesting that these call for butter and oil. I guess the oil gives a softer texture, but that isn’t something that I worry about in any recipe containing pumpkin. They have a great mix of spices, which is always a good thing.

These mix up with no concerns. I even hadn’t allowed the butter to warm quite enough and the cookies still turned out. The cookies don’t brown at all, so it’s hard to know when they are done baking. They seemed to be set, so I hoped for the best. Glazing them while they are warm is different, and the first batch out of the oven I used quite a lot of glaze. The cookies are nice a soft, and don’t have that gummy texture that can be an issue with pumpkin recipes. While these cookies aren’t quite as stellar as last week’s recipe, I’m beginning to like pumpkin a little bit more.

Glazed Pumpkin Sugar Cookies
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
4 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon cloves

3 cups powdered sugar
4 tablespoons water
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch of cloves

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a large mixer bowl, combine the butter, oil, pumpkin, sugar, powdered sugar, vanilla and eggs. Mix on medium until smooth. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour mixture, mixing just until combined.

Scoop the dough into one-inch mounds on the prepared baking sheets. Flatten the cookies to about 1/3” with a glass dipped in sugar.

Bake for 10-12 minutes, until set. The cookies won’t brown much, but will be firm to the touch.

While the cookies bake, in a medium bowl whisk together the powdered sugar, water, cinnamon and cloves. Once the cookies are out of the oven, allow them to cool on the baking sheet for 3 minutes. Move the cookies to a cooling rack and spoon about 1-1/2 teaspoons glaze on each cookie. Slightly spread the glaze and then allow to set.

Recipe from Lauren’s Latest

No comments: