Friday, December 8, 2017

Eggnog Snickerdoodles



I really like eggnog, and I love including the flavors of eggnog in Christmas cookies. I have to say though, that some “eggnog” recipes aren’t what I would say resemble eggnog very much at all. I’ve seen recipes where there is a teaspoon of rum extract and that makes it eggnog. Yeah, I don’t think so. Rum and nutmeg? Maybe, as those are the main components, but this recipe with prepared eggnog, rum and nutmeg really fits the bill.

Snickerdoodles were the first cookies that I remember making and they are my favorite. Incorporating the flavors of eggnog into my favorite cookie couldn’t be bad, right? I was actually surprised that I hadn’t made these before! If alcohol isn’t your thing, you could use rum extract or vanilla, but the flavor would change somewhat. I halved the recipe that you see below, and it made 25 cookies.

The dough is a different technique that you use with cookies. You put the dough together more like you would put together a cake, where you alternate adding the flour and the liquid. I figured that would lead to a softer cookie, and that certainly is the case. My cookies didn’t crack all that much, a little bit as they cooled, which would have made for a prettier cookie. I think this cookies do a fine job of conveying the flavors of eggnog, and the nutmeg sugar on the outside of the cookies give them a little extra punch.

Eggnog Snickerdoodles
1 cup butter, room temperature
2 cups sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon rum
1 cup eggnog
4 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cream of tartar

1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a large mixer bowl, combine the butter and sugar. Meat on medium until light. Add the egg and the rum and stir to combine. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cream of tartar. With the mixer running on low, add a third of the flour mixture, then half of the eggnog. Add another third of the flour mixture, the remaining eggnog, and finish with the last third of the flour mixture. The dough will be sticky.

In a small bowl, stir together the 1/3 cup sugar and nutmeg. Shape the dough into 1-1/4” balls and roll the balls in the nutmeg/sugar mixture. Place the cookies on the prepared baking sheets.

Bake for 9-11 minutes, until the cookies are set and lightly browned along the edges. Allow The cookies to cool on the baking sheets for at least 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from Let’s Dish

No comments: