Friday, May 25, 2018

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Snowballs


I feel like this week kind of got away from me, and it got fairly late in the evening and I hadn’t baked yet! I had a cookie planned, but I didn’t figure that I had enough time to make them. So I went searching for another recipe, something quick and fairly simple. I had time to go to the store, I guess, but I was hoping to find something that I had all of the ingredients on hand.

I went looking though the recipe that I had pinned, and most of them are more involved. Bar cookies are great but they do take time to bake up and then cool. I discovered that I pin a lot of bar cookies! I came across this pin, which in the original blog post is described as a Christmas cookie. The recipe was very simple, and honestly, chocolate and peanut butter are timeless. I had everything on hand, so this was my choice.

These cookies are very similar to Russian teacakes, or Mexican wedding cakes, whatever you call them. They are a shortbread cookie, and instead of pecans they have peanut butter in the dough and chocolate chips. I love Russian teacakes, the cookies are always a little under baked, but for some reason I love that. These bake for quite a while, but you need to be careful to not over bake or they will be too dry.

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Snowballs
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups flour
2 cups mini chocolate chips
Powdered sugar

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a large mixer bowl, add the butter, peanut butter, and sugar. Mix on medium until smooth. Add the vanilla and stir to combine. Add the flour and stir on low. When the flour is almost incorporated into the dough, add the chocolate chips and stir on low until the dough forms.

Shape the dough into 1-1/4 inch balls and place on the prepared baking sheets.

Bake for 18-20 minutes, until set. The cookies will still be soft, but you do not want to over bake the cookies. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, remove from the baking sheet and gently roll in the powdered sugar. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack. If desired, roll again in powdered sugar once the cookies are cool.

Recipe from Wine and Glue

No comments: